Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Book Review: This Star Won't Go Out

Title: This Star Won't Go Out
Author:  Esther Earl, Lori Earl and Wayne Earl
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: January 28, 2014
Genre: Non-Fiction, Memoir, Biography
My Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!

Summary:
A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her. 

     My thoughts on this book are as follows, when I first heard of this book I thought I knew what it was about and I knew what to expect, but when I actually bought my copy and read it, I realized it was more than I imagined. 
     Esther Earl is a girl you can relate to, yes she has cancer but you never realize it, you never realize how much she's really hurting and fighting as you read her funny journal entries. She is a character you grow attached to, I definitely see some similarities between Esther and Hazel from TFIOS. As the summary states, TFIOS was dedicated to her by John Green. In this book you see photos and an entry from John himself when he met with Esther. She was the inspiration/creator of Nerdfighters, a fan base dedicated to Harry Potter, and other things.
     In this book you learn about Esther and her family, it's not a boring biography in any way. You feel like you become part of her family, you grow attached to Esther and her family, when I read the part where she was in the hospital for the last time and she took her last breathe, I started crying like someone died in my life. That's the kind of connection you feel, this book makes you feel every emotion, Sadness, Happiness, Envy (how she can be so strong), Sorrow etc. Every kind of emotion came out whilst I read this book, I was envious of her because she has the strength I wish I had, she had no care in the world, she was full of joy, and laughter, she was, as her name states, A Star.
 
                                                                  ~Rest In Awesome Esther!~
       

No comments:

Post a Comment